Info about Bicep Tendon Repair Surgery from Humphrey's Shoulder Clinic

At Humphrey Shoulder Clinic in Boise, we strive to help our patients recover from their shoulder injuries or conditions and regain their range of motion and quality of life. Our team, led by Dr. Carl Scott Humphrey, provides the best possible care for each patient. Dr. Humphrey has over three decades of expertise in the field, specializing in biceps tendon repair surgery (biceps tenodesis) to reduce pain and restore function and mobility.

Our clinic utilizes the latest techniques and technologies to ensure successful operations with great patient outcomes. We take pride in our proven track record of successful surgeries and personalized care plans tailored to each individual's needs – all made possible by the expertise of Dr. Humphrey and his team at Humphrey Shoulder Clinic.

How Do You Know If You've Torn or Dislocated the Biceps Tendon?

If a torn or dislocated biceps tendon is suspected, there are several signs and symptoms to look out for:

Symptoms of a biceps tendon tear:

  • Hear or feel a snap or pop near the shoulder
  • Severe shoulder pain
  • Visible bruising around the shoulder
  • Pain when trying to use the biceps muscle and/or shoulder
  • Audible crunchy sound or feeling when using the shoulder
  • Reduced range of motion
  • Inability to use an arm to pick up things
Person playing baseball | Humphrey Shoulder Clinic

Symptoms of a dislocated biceps tendon:

  • Pain at the anterior shoulder and deep within the shoulder
  • A recurrent snapping or popping sound that occurs with shoulder motion

What Happens if You Don't Fix a Biceps Tendon Tear?

About 80% of patients can recover from a tear without surgery, but the other 20% will end up with muscle cramping that will require surgery to resolve the symptoms. Additionally, a biceps tendon tear can decrease the overall strength and range of motion in the arm. This can result in significant discomfort, pain, and difficulty performing everyday activities. The muscles will become weakened, leading to a loss of tension and ultimately a ‘Popeye muscle deformity’ where the tendon balls up in the middle of the upper arm.

How Do You Fix a Biceps Tendon in the Shoulder?

If the tendon hasn’t yet completely torn and retracted a biceps tendon repair is a minimally invasive surgery that involves repairing the tendons that connect the biceps muscles to the shoulder.

During the procedure, Dr. Humphrey will make an incision where your biceps tendon attaches to your labrum and then carefully release it. After that, he may reattach it elsewhere on the upper arm, using a suture, anchor, or screw fixation technique. Following this, he will close up the incision and allow time for healing.

How Do You Recover From Bicep Tendon Surgery?

The recovery process typically takes 4-6 months, with the patient wearing a sling for up to two weeks or more. During the recovery period, Dr. Humphrey will suggest when it is safe for patients to use the affected arm again and when they can return to work and resume sports, driving, or any other activities they enjoy. In most cases, patients may perform simple activities of daily living, including overhead reaching, as long as they do not lift objects heavier than 1 lb. After 6 months all activity restrictions are usually removed.

Person holding their shoulder in pain | Humphrey Shoulder Clinic

Personalized Shoulder Care at Humphrey Shoulder Clinic

Are you looking for relief from shoulder pain? Humphrey Shoulder Clinic offers comprehensive treatment options to help you get back to normal. Whether it’s a shoulder injury in need of non-surgical care or it's time to schedule surgery for more effective relief, we have the experience and expertise to assess your condition, develop a personalized treatment plan, and give you the support you need. Schedule an appointment online or call us at 208-639-4800 to start your journey to a healthier and more comfortable lifestyle.